A norovirus that sickened members of a Beaverton, Ore. girls’ soccer team was traced to a reusable grocery bag the girls passed around when they shared cookies.
The next day six of the girls fell ill with severe gastroenteritis — vomiting and diarrhea.
The outbreak was investigated by Kimberly Repp, an epidemiologist with the Washington County Department of Health and Human Services.
The Oregonian reports Repp recovered the bag from the owner and discovered the virus on the handle two weeks later.
The outbreak occurred in October 2010, but the investigative report was just published in The Journal of Infectious Diseases.
Repp recommends that people clean reusable grocery bags in a washing machine or with sanitizing wipes.
Congrats to David James for his winning submission, 'Annabella smelling the Balsam.'
Share your experiences as part of EarthFix's Public Insight Network.
Join our Public Insight Network!